Thando ‘The Poet’ Buthelezi blazed a remarkable trail through Season 4 of the WordNSound Poetry Slam League in 2014. A feat she brilliantly topped off with stellar performances at the Annual WordNSound International Youth Poetry Festival at the Soweto Theatre in October where she was ultimately crowned the Queen of the Mic.
She says that the endearing lesson she walked away from her yearlong battle on the WNS Slam stage was of discipline, hard-work and commitment to all aspects of her craft. Heading this lesson paid off, as Thando adamantly made her way through to the end not just for herself but for all those who supported her all the way.
What added to her spectacular journey was that Thando strives to write in and incorporates as much isiZulu into her work as possible and says: “Writing in Zulu is actually hard. I had to read, I had to learn, even the accent. I had to work on it because I had gotten used to the English way of writing”.
As the reigning Queen of the Mic Thando ‘The Poet’ Buthelezi will showcase her her witty wordplay and ethnically inspired writing as the feature Poet at the Premier Episode to Season 5 of the WordNSound Poetry League.
In closing Thando’s advice to those who want to slam in this years’ WNS Poetry League would be to take the Word N Sound stage seriously, and to do this for themselves more than to compete.
Video clips of our previous interaction with Thando:
- … is a Johannesburg based EMCEE, Songwriter and poet.
- … first entered the scene in 2009 as just a rapper before venturing into poetry late 2012
- … has performed at many shows and has shared the stage with various poetry greats,
- … has earned championship titles at slam Competitions and featured on hip hop mixtapes.
- … fuses her poems with music and theatrical elements and makes use of Props and writing poetry in her Zulu language
- … has made guest appearances on: YO-TV’s Blue Couch, Mzansi Insider and Soweto TV.
- … has being granted platforms such as Eldos FM, VoW FM, Mogale FM, Rainbow and UJ FM to showcase her work
- … writings has been published in various print media.
- … participated in the DSTV tour across JHB CBD taxi ranks to raise awareness on women and child abuse.
- … was selected to be a part of the Phenominal 9 women tour which happens annually on women’s day to celebrate sisters that are doing well within the arts.
- … co-founded the Sandton Poetry festival which celebrated Poetry movements that existed in and around Johannesburg.
- … is currently recording her debut Poetry Audio Tape due for release layer this year