1. Where did you first hear about WNS and what made you want to be a part of it?
I first heard about Word N Sound at the launch of the Next Generation shows in Melville in 2013. I wanted to be a part of the it because I believed that it was an important platform to start from in building my career in poetry and that it would be a great stage to get on in order to make it into the spoken word industry.
2. Tell us about your first time on the WNS stage. How was the experience? What did you love about it and what did you hate?
The first time I was on the WNS stage I was extremely nervous, it was my first slamming experience and I didn’t have an idea of what I was getting myself into, all I could focus on was the tough competition I was faced with. I liked the competition, as it challenged me as writer, forcing me to break into different levels of the art that is poetry. I guess what I hate about it is losing the competition.
3. What has been your most memorable WNS show?
The first time I made it into the top 5, my showcase at the Next Generation “Let’s talk homosexuality’’, the 2013 Joburg WNS Festival, the show we had at the Soweto Theatre. The showcase by Megan Godsell. The first Open Mic in 2014 and the Tongue Fu Show on the second episode of the Series in 2014.
4. You are now part of the WNS Committee. What is your role and how has that experience been?
I’ve recently been appointed as the Head of Production. I am responsible for looking over every show that is hosted by the WNS. I am yet to learn of the experience, I am looking forward to the challenges and rewards.
5. Name your favourite poems from any of the artists in the All-Stars line up. What is it about that poem that makes it stand out?
Elysium Garcia – Church of Assholery: this poem is a reminder that I am not alone, there are more like me, and that brings me comfort.
Masai Dabula – What Do You Know About Freedom: I love how this poem because it challenges my thoughts on how I perceive freedom. I appreciate the approach to how he wrote this poem; I’m crazy about the execution, his performance is captivating.